Letting Go Just A Little

Hello Lovely People,

It's been 2 weeks since my last post.  My goal was absolutely once a week, but I was also aware of how there would be times I would not do that.  This was one of those times.  This year I have really started to try and be more thoughtful and aware of, not necessarily my limitations, because like most good teachers, we could keep pushing and pushing ourselves, but to be aware and respectful of my time and energy.  Basically myself.  I understand that as I teach longer I feel more confident and really "know my stuff" so I am able to let go a tad, but I also feel as I have more and more responsibilities every year in my school, I've eased up on myself and how much I expect to be able to do, which is a bit ironic.

There always seems to be more to do.  It took me many years to truly understand that.  I could stay late or bring work home every single night, but it would never be done.  Never.  There is always some more to do, more that can be done.  Of course, I make sure the essentials are completed and still go above and beyond that and I am always doing my absolute best while I'm at school, and I do still bring work home, but not nearly as much as I did in the past.  And I'm thoughtful of the time spent at school, itself.

It's hard to let go somewhat and I know some people might not be able to do that.  This is still a struggle I have and am always working on but I am finding more and more ways to not be so tough on myself.  Maybe it's because I fell in love and didn't want my partner feeling like he was coming in 2nd place to my job.  Maybe it's because I've been teaching longer and my eyes are fully open to education and all that comes with it.  Maybe it's just growing older and having better boundaries, I'm not sure.

I have had more than a few moments of wondering if I just didn't care enough anymore, but I know that's not true.  I think a lot of it was realizing that I am a really good teacher.  I know what I'm doing and I do it well, so I don't need to work and work and work and work just to prove that to myself or anyone else.  I really do give my all and my best but that does not mean giving all of myself all of the time.

Teachers, do you ever feel like you're getting it all done?  I'd love to know your secrets!  How, as a profession can we ease up on ourselves and when we do our best and give our all, we can be ok with that?


Image result for is it enough meme

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes I Feel SO Done

Brand New Pencils

I've Got the Sunday Night Blues